Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Off the Chain (or is it Hook?) Crochet Necklace!


Hello there! I hope you're day went very well and you're now home, all cozy with a cup of tea and ready to share in a few yarny adventures.  Today, I want to share with you a baubled yarn necklace I stitched up. Given that this is the month of love, my feelings of pure loving delight over my latest project, suits me to a tee.  Speaking of tee's, I think this Crochet Bib Necklace will offset a  white tee splendidly. Add a black boyfriend jacket, jeans, silver shine oxfords and I'll be set for a casual outing on the town this weekend! 



Before I begin the tutorial, I need to say that this is not a fast and quick project and in the beginning, it can get a wee bit frustrating to Single Crochet the yarn through those chain links.  But, please persevere through the foundation row because after that it is smooth hooking. I'm soooo excited about sharing this tutorial with you!!!! But I'm sure you've already guessed that with the number of  "o's" and exclamation points I've used in the previous sentence and you probably want me to just pipe down and start already. So, okay, I hear you, here it is. Let's go!!!

Crochet Chain Necklace

Materials:

21" - 22" chain
Yarn in three contrasting colors. ( I used Red Heart Super Saver Hot Pink, Black and Grey.  The texture of this yarn is perfect for this kind of project because it stitches up solid.)
Velvet ribbon
"C" crochet hook





Stitches used:

Ch: Chain
Sc: Single Crochet
Hdc: Half Double Crochet
Sl St: Slip Stitch
Puff Stitch: Puff Stitch


Fold your chain in half and measure 3 1/2" from the bottom, place markers. 
This marks the spot where your crochet will start and end.



Insert hook through one chain link below your marker, make a loop, 
place loop over hook and draw through chain. 







Sc in each chain link to marker. 


(TIP: Do not insert hook all the way through the chain link.
Only insert tip of hook , so it doesn't get stuck.
This takes a bit practice.  Keep at it. You'll get it.)

Whew, the tough part is done. You now have your  yarn foundation row stitched onto your chain.
At this point, you can remove the markers off the chain.  

Ch. 1, turn and Sc across to other side of yarn row. 


At end of second row, Ch. 3 and turn. In same stitch, work puff stitch. 
(Don't know how to Puff Stitch, click here for 
"Because I Live" tutorial and video by the "Crochet Geek".)

In next stitch, sl st. Puff stitch in next stitch. 



Repeat pattern of sl st, Puff Stitch until end of row.


I was tempted to stop here and tie little multi-colored yarn balls every three puff stitches, which I think would have looked pretty cool, too. Next time, because that's not what I had in mind 
for today and I'm working on not getting distracted and sticking to the plan. So, onward! 


Fasten off first color and weave in end. Join second color to top of last stitch made. 
Ch 1, turn. Sc in next 9 spaces. 
In slip stitch space from previous row, work Puff Stitch. Sc in next 2 st spaces.


Repeat pattern of Puff Stitch, Sc in next 2 spaces to last 10 st.  Sc in last 10 st spaces. 
Fasten off and weave in ends.



Join third color to top of last stitch made. 
Ch 1, turn, Sc in next 15 spaces.
Puff Stitch in next space. 


*Sc in next three spaces. Puff Stitch in next space.* Repeat from * * to last 15 stitches. 
Sc in last 15 stitches


Almost done. 7 Yarn Jewel Beads are needed to complete the look. 

To make the yarn beads. With first color


Ch. 2


In second ch from hook, Hdc 6 times and join to first chain. 


Tie tightly to form a circle shape bead, leaving long strings in order to fasten to necklace. 


Draw ends of bead between two puff stitches and fasten securely. 



Tie velvet ribbon to ends of chain for necklace closure.



All done! 

x-o

- Mona


4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty!! Simple with Elegance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Amazing necklace. I used your tutorial as an inspiration and posted it here: http://onecheerfulgirl.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/crochet-neacklace.html
    I linked your blog too :)

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have inspired you! What a gorgeous necklace you made. I love it.

      Delete