Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Crochet Pattern/Tutorial: Sugar Skull Bunting/Pennant



Hello! 

I stitched this Crochet Sugar Skull Bunting up to hang add a little Dia De Los Muertos touch and color to the door of my laundry room. 




Because of time ( I started on Sunday night), I only made a pennant strand of five skulls. Next year I'll make sure to plan better and make a strand of 12 skulls because I really like the way these little guys came out.  And I would like to have had some bunting for the kitchen windows, as well. 


I think this would make a great crochet class, crochet circle project, or class project (with a crochet crafty mom). Each person/student could make 1 skull, decorate it, and add it to the pennant string. Then the project could be raffled off for charity, at the school fundraiser, or proudly displayed in class. 

The stitches used are a Single Crochet (SC), increase, decrease, and slip stitch. For the yarn , I went with Red Heart Super Saver because of its weight and sturdiness. For the decorative finishes and edges, I used leftover yarn I had in my yarn basket. I hope you enjoy this pattern. 

Crochet Sugar Skull Bunting 


Tools Needed:

Hook Size: G
White yarn, worsted wool, ( I used Red Heart Supper Saver)
Lots of colorful yarn leftovers from other projects

Stitches

Sc: Single Crochet
Ch: Chain
Sc Decrease
Sc Increase


This is approximately how much yarn you will need for one skull ( measures 6 inches in height and 4 inches across)


Chain 5





Sc in second chain from hook (4 sc) . (That's my iPad on the table. I write my patterns as I stitch.) 



Ch 1, turn



2 Sc in first Sc, Sc in next 2 Sc, 2 Sc in last Sc (6 Sc)


Ch 1, turn
Sc across (6 Sc)



Ch 1, turn

2 Sc in first Sc, Sc in next 4 Sc, 2 Sc in last Sc (8 Sc)



Ch 1, turn


Sc across (8 Sc) 



Ch 1, turn
2 Sc in first Sc, sc in next 6 Cc, 2 Sc in last Sc (10 Sc) 



Ch 1, turn
Sc across (10 Sc) 
Happy Mini-Pumpkins keep me company as I write and stitch away. 
Ch 1 turn
Sc across (10 Sc)

Ch 1 turn
Decrease first two Sc, Sc in next 6 Sc , decrease last 2 Sc of row



Ch 1, turn
Decrease first two Sc, Sc in next 4 Sc, decrease last 2 Sc of row

Ch 1, turn
Sc across (4 Sc)


Ch 1, turn
Sc across (4 Sc) 


Ch 1
Sc across (4 Sc), fasten off



For edging, Sc all around skull w/ 2 sc in each corner




For the Eyes: Make two for each skull

With black yarn, chain 3



Join in a circle  


Sc 5 into circle. Fasten off.


Place on skull and using yarn string at back of eyeball, tie onto skull.



For nose and mouth, use black yarn and sew (blanket stitch) or use hook to stitch the nose and mouth.

Backside View

Backside View

I didn't mind that the mouth came our a bit messy. I think it makes him look more charming!

WIth a different color of yarn, weave around front edge of skull.



Now, for the really fun part! Decorate with colorful yarn to create flower, star, squiggles, etc. 



When finished decorating, to join skulls choose one color of yarn
Sc 30




Join to top of one skull and Sc across in back loops across top of skull




Chain 15


Join another skull to chain by Sc in back loops across top of skull


Continue to chain 15 and join skulls by SC to top of skull until all your skulls are joined


After joining last skull, chain 30 for the end tie. Fasten off


Select another color and join to one end of the band you just joined skulls with
Sc across. 


You can stop after this row, fasten off and you're done or you can Sc another band across.




They sure add a bright and fun touch to my laundry room! Do I dare say, can't wait to wash, iron, and fold some clothes. Now, that is a, "Yikes!" x-o

- Mona



No comments:

Post a Comment