Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Peek of Cozy: Boot Cuff Pattern



Hello ! I don't know about all of you, but I am crushing over Pinterest and all the lovely pics of DIY, Fashion, Food, Fitness and Crochet. A virtual plethora of inspiration!

While pinning about for some Fall Fashion ideas that I could incorporate into my wardrobe easily and cheaply, I saw a pic of knee-high boots with socks peeking out over the tops.  I liked the look but wondered if I could wear this look.  You see, after years of running my calves are well, they are...large. It's a real miracle from above when I find boots that zip over my calves. Would they, could they do it with these cute socks on? I doubted it.  Darn because I really, really, really liked that look.

With more research and inspection, I found that these socks were Boot Cuffs and not full-length socks. Hmmm. Boot cuffs are essentially knitted or crocheted bands that start at just below the knee cap and extend to the top of the calf. Priced by some at $39.00/dollars a pair .... (YIKES!) I felt hopeful and confident in my crochet skills that I could make some Boot Cuffs for myself at a fraction of the cost.

After some trial and error with the yarn selection, I came up with a boot cuff pattern that I was happy with.....


They are pretty easy to make and stitch up in about an hour.  After making one in Spruce, I made myself another pair in a rich Claret color.  Perfect for Fall, I think.


They measure in length 5 inches and are 9 inches wide or so. The stitches I used were a Single Crochet (SC) and  Half Double Crochet (HDC).




Key is purchasing a soft, stretchy, and smooth yarn.  I started with a worsted wool yarn blend and a size H hook and the cuff came out way too bulky.  So I switched to a size G hook and found a yummy colored Caron Yarn Naturally Caron Merino Wool Blend yarn.  I really liked working with this yarn.  It just glided through my fingers and hook.  I especially like that this yarn had a fine finish and lied flat for this project.



Now, for the pattern, here it is: Boot Cuffs.

Hook Size: G
One Skein of a Semi-fine Merino Wool Yarn Blend.

Stitches Used:
Single Crochet (SC)
Half Double Crochet (HDC)

Start by making a loop on your hook. (You'll be making the ribbed cuff first)

Chain 12



SC across


*Ch 1., turn
Working in back loops only, SC across*


Half way there!


(NOTE: This technique of working only in the back loops produces a ribbed band effect. Cool, huh?)

Repeat * - * for 25 rows until Rib Band is large enough to fit around the top half of your calf, join the cuff with a SC.  I had to stop and measure around my calf, frequently.  I was a bit paranoid about it not fitting my calves.

SC around edge of joined ribbed band for four rows.

SC, turn.

Skip one SC space and Half Double Crochet (HDC) in next SC space, Ch.1

Join to first stitch.

* Ch 1.

Half Double Crochet (HDC) in Ch. 1 space.** ( NOTE: You will be working in rounds.)

Repeat * - * for three rows.  or more if you so desire



Finish edge with SC. Fasten off and weave in end.




That's it. Enjoy! x-o

- Mona

43 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pattern! I just finished the first cuff and it turned out great. I used regular ol' Red Heart yarn in heather grey and I'm very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the same as you michelle...red heart heather grey...loved the results...Thanks for the pattern Mona!!! lovely!

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle!

    You are welcome! Glad to hear you tried the pattern and you are happy with your boot cuffs. I'm going to have to try the Red Heart. I've been experimenting with new yarns, too. This past weekend, I made several cuffs with Caron Simply Soft and was very happy with the results. Happy Crocheting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I'm totally going to make a ton of these. I'm sure I can also adapt the pattern into a pair of legwarmers as well. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Holly Jo,

    Thank you! Glad to hear you're going to make use of the pattern. And what a great idea to make leg warmers. Let me know how they turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mona, these look great. My daughters and daughter-in-law all have boots. I thought what a cute idea to make these in a variety of colors for stocking stuffers. Thank you for your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cinder!

    You're welcome! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Looking forward to making many of them! Thank you so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie,

      You're welcome. Enjoy the pattern!

      Delete
  8. hi mona,
    thanks for pattern...just one thing what does join to first stitch mean after hdc stitch ?
    thanks, lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynne,

    You're welcome. Thanks for trying out my pattern. I'm still new to writing out patterns so I appreciate your patience.

    The hdc/ladder stitch is not worked in rounds. So when you reach the end of one hdc/ladder round, you join by slip stitch to the top of the first hdc of that round. Then proceed to the next hdc/ladder round.

    I hope that helps a bit and I haven't muddled matters further. I promise, I'll get better at transferring these patterns from my brain to paper with time. Thanks again!

    Mona :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mona...thanks for sharing! These cuffs look amazing. I have a question about the pattern...for the first hdc row, do you skip every other sc or just he first one in the row? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori,

      I'm glad you liked the pattern. For the first row of the hdd/ladder stitch, skip a sc to create the foundation row of this stitch. For the subsequent hdc/ladder rows, stitch in chain spaces. I hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by. So appreciate you and everyone else that is giving this pattern a go!

      Delete
  11. Hi Mona, I love this pattern, but I don't do much crocheting so I'm a bit stumped. I made the cuff, and joined the ends together to form a band, correct? But then when I go to do the 4 rows of SC around the outer edge it all of a sudden becomes really tight. Too tight to fit over my calf. Do I just make these rows of SC really loose somehow? Or is it because I didn't crochet into the back stitch to form the "ribbed" look? I just crocheted into the front one instead because it was easier. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindsay!

      It sounds like you didn't make the cuff with the ribbing correctly. In order for the cuff to fit and stretch, it needs that ribbed effect. To create the ribbing, crochet in back loops of each row. If you're having trouble with the stitch. Practice for about 15 rows or so, until the stitch becomes easier to do. You'll master the stitch in no time, at all. :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Mona

      Delete
  12. this looks like a great pattern, I might try it but I think I might try and make them longer because I have short boots! Thank you Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, I hope you will try it and would love to see a pic of your inspired creation!

      Delete
  13. very cute pattern. I havent tried it out yet, but it seems very self explanitory! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the nicest pattern so far. I really like it and cannot wait to try it out. Perfect project for while I am waiting for the turkey to cook. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you to say so, Tara. Thank you! And what a perfect way to wait out the turkey. :)

      Delete
  15. When you do the chain stitch row are you going in the second stitch so you'll have 11 stitches? Then chain 1 to go to next row? Confused? Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen, So happy to hear you are trying the pattern. I know you'll love those boot cuffs. :)

      Yes, chain into the second stitch (11 stitches, total) You will then chain 1 to go to next row.

      Have a great day and enjoy! - Mona

      Delete
  16. I haven't crocheted for years, but this looked so great, I had to try it. I have one question though. I'm unclear about joining the cuff with a single crochet? I have the 25 rows of ribbed band completed. How do I turn that into a circle? Should I sc the edges together? Not sure how to proceed after the ribbed cuff has been made. Forgive me if the answer is obvious..it's been a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    So glad you're giving the pattern a go. yes, SC the edges together to join ribbed band together and then proceed with pattern.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing. I have two nieces and lots of yarn. I can't wait to make these for their Christmas presents. I really appreciate your free share.


    God bless and have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and you are most welcome. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate it! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  19. My dil just told me she's getting wellys for Christmas, so I'm making these for her! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Lucky girl! New wellies! You are most welcome and I hope you enjoy the pattern and the project. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  20. I just finished mine and love them. I used Martha Stewart 100% Merino in cream with an H hook. It took me 42 rows of ribbing to get around me calf tho. Thanks for sharing this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen,

      I'm happy to hear the pattern worked out and that you love your boot cuffs. Cream Merino Yarn must make them very pretty. And you are most welcome for the share. I do love to post how-to's for my projects and hear how they turned out for others. Have a wonderful day! :)

      Delete
  21. Thank you.....I can't wait to make several pairs. Maybe even tonight.


    Sincerely,

    Marge Burke

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tutorial!Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to try these out!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write the pattern and being so generous as to share it with us!! You're a perfect peach! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mandar!

      Why, you are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

      - Mona

      Delete
  24. Thank you so much for writing this pattern. I have made two so far and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa,

      I love writing these patterns and especially when they are so well received. I am happy to hear you are enjoying the pattern!

      - Mona

      Delete
  25. I can't wait to make these - gave hand crocheted hats and infinity scarves for Christmas gifts to daughter, daughter-in-law and all the granddaughters last evening and on the way out they all started talking about boot cuffs, leg warmers, etc. So now I'm going to have something new for the long winter ahead..............thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Glad to hear you have found something for the long winter ahead. I hope you have fun making your boot cuffs!

      - Mona

      Delete
  26. This is the pattern that I have been looking for. It is easy to adjust the size with the initial cuff rows. Your numbers worked perfectly for my average calf and a "G" hook. I have used Simply Soft" by Caron in beige heather and now I am doing some in teal. Thanks for a great winter project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemarie! Thank you for the sweet words. I'm happy you've found your winter project!

      - Mona

      Delete